Online dating helps people to find new people and to meet their potential connections over various websites and online dating apps with a goal to develop personal, romantic, or sexual relationships. Few companies provide various unmoderated matchmaking which are profile-based perhaps it’s no surprise our study found that many Internet users are dating online and finding their compatible partners. Many have also joined memberships for the same. It is a good way to meet people, and the majority thought it was a bad replacement for striking up relationships in the ‘real’ world. But the way we communicate, meet and express our love, has changed positively since then. Online dating is becoming more popular. Is Online Dating Safe? Check Pros & Cons of Online Dating –
#1. Some Facts about Dating Online:
1. Age groups:
There are young generation (13-25 years old) and older people (55-64 years old). There is no such age for love.
2. Some of the Most Used Dating Apps are:
Tinder, Bumble, OkCupid, Match.com etc.
3. Different Kind of People:
Many apps include LGBT people, but also include other straight people. Since people in these markets may have a harder time meeting interested partners face to face, they use online dating much more willingly. Nearly most of LGBT couples meet online. Online dating is radically more common among same sex couples.
4. Little Things People Lie About:
Even though lying is one of the most hated aspects of online dating, online daters lie to each other, faking a range of traits such as their names, looks, salary, age etc.
With people lying for a several of reasons online, safety, becomes something that we should really focus on. You wouldn’t trust a stranger in the street who lies to you about themselves, so why someone should be fooled on any social media apps, or give them access to sensitive information about yourself?
6. Why Do People Date Online:
People turn to online dating for a variety of reasons some do it for fun, while some look for more meaningful relationships and some simply looking for sex.
7. Over Sharing Personal Information:
People share information with others too easily when they are dating online. People share their home address, and the same number has shared naked photos of them this way, exposing them to risk.
8. IT Security Issues:
The main concern is IT security is, as people are concerned for their safety while dating online.
#2. There are Some Pros and Cons to Online Dating:
- It’s accessible to many individuals all over the world. So the websites can match you with lots of potential life partners. Online dating app helps you with various type of personality testing so that they can find compatible partner perfect for an individual.
- You get to meet like-minded people. You can communicate with a person without any hesitation of time or commitment. You will be able to list exactly what are you looking in a person, and create a good bond chatting online.
- It’s good for shy people. Who are socially awkward or introverts, it helps them to open up behind this apps. And work on opening up to people and knowing them through this dating apps
- You may get confuse with lots of options and lots of matches. Sometimes matches or tests are inappropriate. And sometimes people are different online and may present different when you meet in person.
- Communications through online dating lack face to face conversations and chatting online may have artificial and unemotional quality.
- It can be dangerous, profile doesn’t tell you everything you maybe blindsided by your preferences. Most sites put lot of intent on physical attractiveness or romantic pressure.
As much as good and accessible it is to meet new and exciting people from the comfort of our homes, it is important to be smart about safety measures online (and offline) here are some tips to help you feel safe and protect you from getting trapped by taking some precautions:
- As a basic safety precaution, try to avoid being alone with the person in a any secluded places. Always meet in public places whether it is a park, restaurants, cafes or anything as such never meets alone in any confined dark space.
- Always tell some friend or family member about your date! About whom you are going out with some basic information about the person and where are you meeting the person. Be contactable, keep your phone charged and also send your location if there are change in plans.
- When you meet someone at first you rarely know each other then also try to avoid consumption of alcohol and be sober. Be aware of your limits! Don’t put yourself at risk.
- Be independent! Travel by yourself or use your own vehicle. Don’t travel with the person you are going on a date with it would be unsafe and risky.
- Know who you are talking to! Google is your best friends this instance, so always make sure you know who you are chatting with search them on social medias too and verify all the information see that they aren’t using fake account! Don’t think this as stalking but research. If you uncover anything shady don’t hesitate to block or report them.
- Trust your instincts and take your time to feel free to cut off a communication whenever you feel it’s getting to an uncomfortable topic or the other person getting too personal.
- Some sites retain your information in the instance you either delete or disable your account and then decide to return. Make sure you understand their protocols.
- Check your profiles privacy settings. Some dating sites make profile public by default, which means that they could be indexed by search engines.
- Does it share your photo only with members on the site, or are they allowed to use it for online advertising etc. If so is there any option to opt-out?
- Be aware of fake profiles. Many of these sites contain scammers using bots to pose as members who will then steal you’re saved online information or lead you to malware or illegal and inappropriate content.
- If the conversation seems off or the person isn’t properly responding, or the spelling isn’t consistent with their fluent language, it could be a bot.
- Always practice common sense safety and do not share personal information!
- If you do get any request for financial help, report it to the app or site you’re using immediately. Never give personal information such as your credit card number, bank information, work or your home address. Don’t respond to any of such financial help even though they have convincing reasons. Always think twice before you share your number for any reasons.
Conclusion: If You’re Going to do it, Take Necessary Precautions
Our day to day life is managed by digital devices. From everything we schedule, our busy lives, to research, to interact with people, or relationships and also to work online everything is now digitally done. So it has become really important to be cautious. This has become even more risky when it comes to dating online. Forming new relationships, relying on digital devices. People are really carrying this online dating as fun and misuse the information’s shared online. Even if this apps and websites come up with lots of convenience they are risky as forming a date and meeting up strangers isn’t always uncomplicated. As it needs some basic information, there are lots of chances of getting it misused. So the only advice for the people is to take more caution online as they take in physical world. If you date online be careful to not click on unknown links and over sharing information.